Sunday 19 October 2014

Product or Process Knitter?

I've been thinking about this a bit recently as I've had limited knitting and spinning projects available to me, since all my stuff had to be packed up to be shipped to Jakarta. It also came up on episode 5 of the Stitched Together video podcast and I thought I'd talk a little about it here. 

When I've thought about this before I've wavered between the two and there are probably some times when I am both. Recently, however it's become pretty apparent that I'm mostly a process knitter. My Rivoli shawl and the Curious Collective Shawl have really proved that to me, as I have no reason whatsoever to be knitting shawls, but I want to for the sheer pleasure of doing so! I love to knit lace and really enjoy the challenge of it. Of course I love the finished products and I will keep them around when the air conditioning gets a bit chilly but if I don't enjoy knitting something then generally it either gets frogged or it takes an age.

My Custom Fit Cardigan will be lovely when it's done but that doesn't appear to be enough motivation to continue with it! The yarn is gorgeous and I really like the colour; yet it's sat untouched for weeks now! How do you motivate yourself to finish something you're not enjoying but know will be great when it's done?   

Hand knit socks do seem to be the anomaly though. I find them quite satisfying to have and to complete, yet they seem to take forever to knit and I enjoy the product more than the process in this case. 

Just for fun I've set up a little poll to find out how many of you are process or product knitters. If you'd like to share your thoughts in the comments then I'd love to hear them!


Follow on Bloglovin
 

4 comments:

  1. Funny how debates get started isn't it.? I got prompted by the Prairie Girls and you get prompted by me. This is how ideas spread through the world. Sometimes you just have to force yourself to work on something for a little while every day in bite sized chunks, especially if you really want the item. If you don't want it, don't knit it. Or if you loath knitting it, just buy something from a store that will fill the gap in your wardrobe. Life is too short for knitting something you hate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went away and listened to the Prairie Girls podcast after listening to yours as well! I think you're right and I'm going to need to try to work on it every day for a few minutes. I don't hate knitting on it, I just have found other things that are a little more interesting. Once I get back into it I reckon I'll be able to get it finished pretty quickly....and then I'll have to seam it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I am more a process knitter, although I do love my hand-knit socks. I always like to try new patterns that teach me a new technique, but I admit I have a lot of shawls and scarves that I loved knitting but never wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can understand how shawls are so appealing to knit even if you don't wear them, it's such fun to learn a new technique or stitch pattern!

      Delete