Sunday 18 August 2013

All The Things

This week has been exceptionally busy due to the start of school coming so knitting and spinning time has been sparse. The kids are in on Wednesday and my body is not cooperating as I am coming down with a cold. Perhaps I will use this as an excuse to knit and spin as much as I can!? 

First up, pictures of the Low Tide Cardigan by Tin Can Knits. I gifted this to the recipient yesterday and although it is a bit big at the moment by the time it cools down it should be a great fit. I am really looking forward to seeing it being worn.  



Next up socks! I am trying to stash bust a bit at the moment as, for some reason, I want to buy all the things!! I started knitting Spice Man socks using some now discontinued 100% merino sock yarn in the Parrot colourway. The pattern is easy to follow and I have just started the gusset and hope to finish it soon. As you can see I'm knitting them two at a time, toe up, on one circular needle. This is my first time using this technique and although it was fiddly to start with I really like it now. The needles are Dyakcraft Heavy Metals which I am in love with and as a sock needle I think they are ideal. 



New on the needles is a Belgian Waffle Boomerang by Susan Ashcroft. It's a really well written pattern and very easy to follow. I am using one of the recommended yarns, which rarely happens, Fyberspates Faery Wings on my 5mm Darn Pretty Interchangeable Needles. The yarn is simply gorgeous to knit with and feels very luxurious. I am sure this will be a pleasure to wear through the winter months here. This is my favourite shape of shawls so any recommendations of patterns are appreciated. 

                                  


As I said last week I was keen to try spinning with rolags. I picked out a lovely sample from my Secret Garden Phat Fiber box and away I went. I believe the fiber is from Woodland Hills Alpacas and it spun up into a beautiful little skein. A blending board is definitely in my future but perhaps I will have to suffice with buying rolags for the time being. Where do you like to buy yours from?  



On my spindle at the moment is a Nunoco batt. The colourway is Iridescent Puddle which is a gradient that goes from  purple, to green and then jade. I started at the jade end and am almost at the end of the purple of the first 50g. I want this to match up as much as possible so will two ply it. I have 200g in total so hopefully I can knit something gorgeous at the end. 

   

On a more technical note, I have recently purchased Knit Companion as it is currently on sale. Has anyone used it? Do you have any hints or tips? Do you like it? I will hopefully start using it soon but am keen to hear your thoughts on it in the meantime.  

Have a great weekend! 




No comments:

Post a Comment